• Jury selection underway for NM stepfather of Omaree Varela

    ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — Jury selection has extended into a second day for the trial of an Albuquerque man charged in connection with a deadly child abuse case.

  • Man arresting after threatening to sexually abuse a child

    ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — A man police say wanted to taunt them by threatening to rape a 6-year-old has been arrested and booked into an Albuquerque jail.

  • This Wednesday, Aug. 26, 2015, file booking photo provided by the Denver District Attorney’s Office, shows Jason Martinez. New Mexico's largest school district hired Martinez as a high-level administrator, but Martinez was charged in Colorado with felony sexual assault on a child involving two victims. Martinez abruptly resigned in early August 2015 and was rearrested recently for violating the terms of his bond in the Colorado case. (Denver District Attorney’s Office via AP, File)

    Embattled Albuquerque school chief to learn fate

    ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — The board of New Mexico’s largest school district is scheduled Monday to decide the future of its embattled superintendent following the hiring of an administrator facing child sex abuse charges.

  • Trial begins for stepfather charged in boy’s beating death

    ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — A child abuse trial is about to get underway week for the stepfather of a 9-year-old who authorities say was kicked to death by his mother in New Mexico, even after authorities were alerted to the boy’s appeals for help.

  • Former St. Paul's student Owen Labrie puts his hands to his face as his verdict is read at Merrimack County Superior Court on Friday, Aug. 28, 2015 in Concord, N.H.  Labrie was cleared of felony rape but convicted of misdemeanor sex offenses Friday against a 15-year-old girl in a case that exposed a campus tradition in which the oldest students competed to see how many younger students they could have sex with.  Each count carries up to a year behind bars. Labrie could get as much as 11 years in prison at sentencing Oct. 29. He will also have to register as a sex offender for the rest of his life. (Geoff Forester/The Concord Monitor via AP, Pool)

    Former prep school student convicted of sex charges

    CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — A graduate of an exclusive New England prep school was cleared of rape but convicted Friday of lesser sex offenses against a 15-year-old freshman girl in a case that exposed a tradition in which seniors competed to see how many younger students they could have sex with.

  • This March 15, 2013 file photo shows Archbishop Jozef Wesolowski, former ambassador to the Dominican Republic, in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. The Vatican says Friday, Aug. 28, 2015 its former ambassador to the Dominican Republic, who has been charged by church prosecutors with sexually abusing children in the Caribbean country, was found dead in his Vatican room early Friday: the Vatican prosecutor ordered an immediate autopsy. (AP Photo/Manuel Diaz, File)

    Vatican says ex-envoy, charged with sexual abuse, has died

    VATICAN CITY (AP) — The Vatican’s former ambassador to the Dominican Republic, who had been charged by church prosecutors with sexually abusing children in the Caribbean country, died Friday of apparent natural causes as he awaited trial, the Vatican said.

  • Former St. Paul's School student Owen Labrie scratches his chin while he testifies during his trial at Merrimack Superior Court in Concord, N.H., Wednesday, Aug. 26, 2015. Labrie is charged with raping a 15-year-old freshman as part of Senior Salute, in which seniors try to romance and have intercourse with underclassmen before leaving the prestigious St. Paul's School in Concord. The defense contends the two had consensual sexual contact but not intercourse. (AP Photo/Charles Krupa, Pool)

    The Latest: Jurors begin deliberating prep school rape case

    CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — The latest on the trial of a former student at an elite prep school accused of raping a freshman as part of a tradition called Senior Salute (all times local):

  • In this Nov. 13, 2014 file photo, sitting in her home in Butte, Mont., Jennifer Blaz, 34, holds the small hand print, hair clipping and footprint given to her by the hospital after the death of her daughter, Mattisyn, in 2013. Earlier in the day, Matthew Blaz, 33, was sentenced to life in prison without parole for the death of their infant daughter. In a document obtained by The Associated Press in August 2015, the federal government says it will strip Montana of a child abuse prevention grant if the state does not start providing the public with required details about children who die from abuse and neglect. The AP obtained the letter from Montana officials after filing a federal Freedom of Information Act with HHS. (AP Photo/Lido Vizzutti)

    Feds warns Montana it faces cutoff of abuse program funding

    The federal government says it will strip Montana of a child abuse prevention grant if the state does not start providing the public with mandatory details about children who die from abuse and neglect.