Published: 4:02 am, Thu. August 18th, 2016Updated: 8:35 pm
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Friday:
1. TOP TRUMP AIDE TIED TO UNDISCLOSED LOBBYING CAMPAIGN
A firm run by Trump’s campaign chairman orchestrated a covert Washington lobbying operation on behalf of Ukraine’s ruling political party, emails obtained by the AP show.
2. AUTHORITIES CONTRADICT US SWIMMERS’ STORY
Brazilian police say Ryan Lochte and three teammates were not robbed in Rio after a night of partying, as they claimed.
3. CLINTON SITS ATOP POLLS DESPITE EMAILS
Faced with the choice of Trump, voters seem willing to tolerate questions about her honesty because of their distaste for the Republican nominee.
4. WHAT OBAMA ADMINISTRATION IS ACKNOWLEDGING FOR FIRST TIME
The State Department says that a $400 million cash payment to Iran was contingent on the release of a group of American prisoners.
5. SUMMER OF PAIN IN BATON ROUGE
The Louisiana city has endured the shooting death of a black man by police, the killings of three officers, and now catastrophic flooding.
6. WHERE UBER SEES ITS BUSINESS HEADING
The option to hail a free ride in a self-driving car will soon be available to users of the company’s services in Pittsburgh.
7. NYC MUSLIMS GRAPPLE WITH PRIVACY ISSUES
The daytime slayings of an imam and his friend prompt consideration of the possible benefits of increased police surveillance of the city’s Muslim communities.
8. WHO’S FOLDING ITS MEDIA TENT
Gawker.com is shutting down, brought low by the major invasion-of-privacy lawsuit won by Hulk Hogan.
9. R-E-S-P-E-C-T FOR ARETHA FRANKLIN’S CHILDHOOD HOME
A judge says the current owner had made enough improvements to the dilapidated house where the singer was born in Memphis, Tenn., to save it from the wrecking ball.
10. JUDGE TO EX-NFL STAR: CAN’T IGNORE DAMAGE YOU INFLICTED
Darren Sharper is sentenced to more than 18 years in prison for drugging women in order to rape them — double the sentence recommended by prosecutors.