Published: 4:11 am, Tue. September 29th, 2015Updated: 4:35 am
1. OBAMA, PUTIN AT ODDS OVER SYRIA
At the U.N., the U.S. president and his Russian counterpart sharply disagree over how to handle the devastating civil war, especially on the future status of embattled leader Bashar Assad.
2. RUINOUS WAR IN SYRIA COULD CAUSE BREAK UP ALONG SECTARIAN OR REGIONAL LINES
The devastation is so widespread that experts wonder whether the disparate groups can share a unifying national sentiment.
3. U.S. LAUNCHES STRIKE ON STRATEGIC AFGHAN CITY CAPTURED BY TALIBAN
The militant group’s conquest of Kunduz is the first of a major urban area since the 2001 U.S.-led invasion.
4. WHAT NASA’S MARS ORBITER REVEALS
The spacecraft’s instruments show strong evidence that water trickles down some Martian slopes, which could suggest the presence of microscopic life forms.
5. ISLAMIC STATE GROUP SAYS IT GUNNED DOWN AN ITALIAN CITIZEN IN BANGLADESH
It would mark the extremists’ first attack in the secular South Asian nation which has struggled against hardline Islamic groups.
6. BRAZIL BELEAGUERED BY ECONOMIC AND POLITICAL CRISIS
The currency is hitting historic lows, unemployment is at a five-year peak and the grinding deadlock has frozen leaders’ ability to push through necessary measures.
7. UNCERTAIN FUTURE FOR ALASKA PIPELINE
Gov. Bill Walker says Shell’s decision to pull out of oil drilling means the state must find another use for the project.
8. U.S. COLLEGES STRUGGLE TO INTEGRATE HUGE INFLUX OF CHINESE STUDENTS
Educators are even broadcasting football games in Mandarin and giving students orientation before they leave their country.
9. TREVOR NOAH STEPS INTO JON STEWART’S SHOES
On his first night as host of “The Daily Show”, the South African comedian promised not to make his predecessor seem like a “crazy old dude who left his inheritance to some random kid from Africa.”
10. AARON RODGERS THROWS FOR 5 TOUCHDOWNS
The Green Bay Packers quarterback has a big Monday night in a 38-28 victory against the Kansas City Chiefs.