Published: 5:03 am, Mon. September 28th, 2015Updated: 5:05 am
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Monday:
1. OBAMA AND PUTIN TO COME FACE TO FACE FOR FIRST TIME IN NEARLY A YEAR
Rising tensions over Syria and Ukraine will be discussed at the meeting, which occurs on the sidelines of the United Nations General Assembly.
2. WHY THE BATTLE AGAINST ISLAMIC STATE GROUP IS FALTERING
It’s been a year since world leaders pledged to destroy the militants, but despite billions of dollars spent and thousands of airstrikes, the campaign appears to have made little impact.
3. HOW THE POPE IS USING HIS POPULARITY TO CHART NEW DIRECTION FOR THE CHURCH AND THE U.S.
His statements on poverty and tolerance amounted to a dramatic reframing of issues within Catholicism and a hope for less polarization overall in the United States.
4. SHELL TO CEASE ALASKA OFFSHORE ARCTIC DRILLING
It’s a huge blow to the company, which spent billions and was counting on the project to help it drive future revenue.
5. INCENTIVES TO UNITED TO FLY TO ATLANTIC CITY COME UNDER SCRUTINY
AP investigation finds a tangled web of debt forgiveness on a cancelled route involving the airline, Port Authority and New Jersey Gov. Christie.
6. GENE TEST FINDS MANY WOMEN WITH EARLY-STAGE BREAST CANCER CAN SKIP CHEMO
Major study finds the treatment can be bypassed without hurting the patient’s odds of beating the disease.
7. AT UN SUMMIT, PALESTINIAN PRESIDENT FINDS HIMSELF OUT OF OPTIONS
Mahmoud Abbas has threatened to drop a “bombshell” in a speech to the United Nations this week — prompting speculation that he will sever ties with Israel.
8. BILL CLINTON GETS READY TO TAKE A MORE ACTIVE ROLE IN HILLARY’S CAMPAIGN
His move to deepen the political involvement in his wife’s effort comes as she continues to confront the insurgent campaign of Vermont independent Sen. Bernie Sanders and the chance that Vice President Joe Biden could make a late entry into the race.
9. WHAT TRUMP’S TAX PLAN LOOKS LIKE
It will be unveiled today with a projected aim of reducing rates for lower and middle-income families, as well as corporations, while increasing rates for some, like hedge fund managers.
10. STARGAZERS’ BONANZA: LUNAR ECLIPSE AND SUPERMOON
It’s the first time the events have made a twin appearance since 1982, and they won’t again until 2033.