. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Liana Swarengin - Daily Press Fire Marshal James Abner helps a home ec student at Park Junior High aim a fire extinguisher at a simulated cooking fire during a lesson Tuesday on fire safety and prevention in the kitchen.

Liana Swarengin – Daily Press
Fire Marshal James Abner helps a home ec student at Park Junior High aim a fire extinguisher at a simulated cooking fire during a lesson Tuesday on fire safety and prevention in the kitchen.

By LIANA SWARENGIN
Daily Press Staff Writer
Artesia Fire Marshal James Abner visited Mitzi McCaleb’s classroom at Park Junior High School Tuesday to teach fire safety.
McCaleb teaches family and consumer sciences, commonly known as home economics, to eighth-grade and freshman students.
“My students are going to start cooking soon,” McCaleb said. “They will cook for both of the nine weeks of this semester all the way up to Christmas.” … For the rest of the story, subscribe in print and on the web.