Published: 1:51 pm, Wed. Jun. 6th, 2018Updated: 1:51 pm
With the Kellar Fire near Queen now 95 percent contained, command of the incident area has been transferred back to the Lincoln National Forest Guadalupe Ranger District.
As such, the district rescinded the closure orders that had been in place during the fire. The following areas are once again open to the public:
• Sitting Bull Falls day-use area and trail systems
• Forest Service Road 277-C at FSR 277
• FSR 276 at the Eddy County Road 409 junction (Sitting Bull Gate)
• FSR 68 at the N.M. 137 junction
• FSR 525 at the N.M. 137 junction
The Lincoln National Forest wishes to thank residents and visitors for their patience and understanding during the fire.
Fire crews successfully completed their mission to allow fire back on the landscape to reduce pinon and juniper density and increase future grass production. The Kellar Fire consumed 5,750 acres.