. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

An Artesia main is awaiting preliminary examination on charges of assault after he reportedly threatened a friend with a tire iron.

Around 11:30 a.m. July 25, Artesia Police Department officers were dispatched to Circle K in reference to an unwanted subject.

There, they made contact with Danny Murray, 34, of Artesia, who, according to police reports, exited a red pickup in the parking lot as he saw officers approach and told them he “didn’t know what the problem was” but would leave peacefully.

Inside Circle K, officers spoke with the victim, who said she had been in her vehicle at First and Main streets when she noticed Murray, whom she described as a friend. She said Murray entered her vehicle uninvited.

The victim told police Murray was behaving erratically and told her to drive him somewhere. She proceeded north on First Street, at which time Murray’s erratic behavior increased, and he grabbed a tire iron from the backseat, threatening to “kill” the victim.

The woman pulled over at a business in the 1100 block of North First and said she was able to calm Murray down, telling him there were people outside who could see him wielding the tire iron. According to the report, Murray responded by placing his shirt over the window and ordering the victim to begin driving again.

The victim was finally able to pull over at the Circle K, at which point she again reminded Murray of the amount of people around. As he replaced the tire iron in the backseat, she ran inside the store.

Officers said Murray appeared agitated and told them they needed to “call the FBI” because his rights were being violated. Once at the Artesia Detention Center, Murray gave a detention officer what appeared to be a loaded syringe, removed a white, powdery substance from his boxer shorts, and attempted to swallow it in the presence of the officer.

Police were able to retrieve some of the substance from Murray’s mouth. The report says Murray also produced a red candy wrapper containing an unknown substance and placed it in his anal cavity while changing clothes.

He was subsequently charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, tampering with evidence, and possession of drug paraphernalia. A preliminary exam has been set for Aug. 9 in Artesia Magistrate Court. Murray was also found guilty of probation violation and sentenced to 90 days in the Eddy County Detention Center.