Published: 3:01 pm, Tue. May. 23rd, 2017Updated: 3:00 pm
The Artesia Public Schools Board of Education met in a Special Open Board Meeting Monday to approve a variety of maintenance and purchasing requests.
Also on the agenda was recognition of the Artesia High School boys’ and girls’ golf teams as the 2017 Class 5A state champions.
“(We’re) extremely pleased and proud to recognize the 2017 boys’ and girls’ state-winning golf teams,” said Superintendent Dr. Crit Caton.
“For the girls, winning back to back, it means a whole lot; for the boys, they had a record of second- and third-place trophies for many years, and to bring home the blue trophy, I think for these seniors, it really meant a lot to them,” said AHS head golf coach Dusty Bean. “I”m very proud of this group of young people and proud of my assistant coaches Jeff Davis and Ridge Bowden, and want to publicly thank them for all their support this year… couldn’t have done it without them, couldn’t have done it without the parents of these young people raising money and getting us going.”
Assistant Superintendent of Operations Thad Phipps received the board’s approval for:
• the 2017-18 transportation contract with Kaiser Incorporated in the amount of $1,135,252.30;
• to demolish the exterior AHS welding shop as Phase I of the AHS Welding Shop Renovation Project in the amount of $148,086.89;
• to renovate the electrical system at Bulldog Bowl in the amount of $142,361.25;
• to renovate the electrical system at the AHS old boys’ gym in the amount of $144,308.92;
• to purchase network monitoring services for the Artesia Public Schools in the amount of $66,000.00;
• and to purchase PVT Smart Nets Warranty for the district in the amount of $21,279.61.
In other business, the board was provided with a first draft of the APS’ new board room and training center user fees from Caton and Phipps.
The next regularly scheduled board meeting will be held at 7 p.m. Monday, June 12, in the Lowell M. Irby Board Room at the Administration Building.