Published: 2:31 pm, Sun. May. 14th, 2017Updated: 2:23 pm
The Artesia Historical Museum and Art Center recently hosted the 2017 Russell Floore Memorial Student Art Show.
Museum manager Nancy Dunn reported a large turnout at this year’s reception and significant participation in both People’s Choice award voting and the silent auction for pieces available for sale.
Students from Artesia High School, Park Junior High School, and Zia Intermediate School all participated; first- through third-place and honorable mention awards were given to pieces from each school, as well as the overall Best of Show and People’s Choice awards.
This year’s Best of Show was “Bohemian Queen,” stamped paint, by Kissy Jimenez of AHS, whose depiction of Queen lead singer Freddie Mercury drew much praise. The People’s Choice award went to Deanda Madrid of Zia for her acrylic “Trees of Freedom.”
Other awards included:
ARTESIA HIGH SCHOOL
• First Place: Cassie Blake, “Ace Moth,” digital media
• Second Place: Theresa Lopez, “Teddysa,” charcoal
• Third Place: Kelcey Fanning, “Big Ben,” wood and twine
• Honorable Mentions: Anna Fisk, “Anna,” charcoal; Kelcey Fanning, “Space Needle,” wood and twine; Sarah Banuelos, “Gregory,” toothpicks; Keon Norman, “Milton’s Chocolate Brand,” digital media; Memo Aguilera, “Digital Landscape,” digital media
PARK JUNIOR HIGH
• First Place: Kelsi Daughrity, “Lobo,” pen and ink
• Second Place: Adam Folmar, Untitled, digital photograph
• Third Place: Stephanie Cuenca, “Who,” acrylic
• Honorable Mentions: Karla Maldonado, “Deadly Rose,” digital photograph; Ghade Brown, “Searching,” acrylic; Bianka Quintana, “The 3 Troops,” digital photograph; Heath Cosper, “OJ in the Morning,” digital photograph; Denise Duran, Untitled, wood burning and ink; Karlie Stubbs, “Nature’s Beauty,” digital photograph
• First Place: Gracie Rand, “Ancient Pegasus,” copper tooling
• Second Place: Deandra Madrid, “Trees of Freedom,” acrylic
• Third Place: Honesti Calderon, “City in the Sky,” shrink charm
• Honorable Mentions: Kiley Rodriguez, “Jennifer Lawrence,” pencil; Josiah Kimborough, “Zo,” shrink charm; Carolina Sanchez, “Reflection,” pencil; Zoey Herrera, “My Dream,” acrylic
The students were under the direction of art instructors Tim Trentham (art) and Tiffany Pascal (digital media), AHS, Kyle Kimple (art) and Jennifer Duff (digital photography), Park, and Juli Newton (art), Zia.
The silent auction of show pieces raised $726, all of which went directly to the students.
5-14- Park Third Place
Left: Park Junior High School: Third Place, Stephanie Cuenca, “Who,” acrylic.
5-14-AHS First Place
Artesia High School: First Place, Cassie Blake, “Ace Moth,” digital media.
5-14-AHS Second Place
Artesia High School: Second Place, Theresa Lopez, “Teddysa” charcoal.
5-14-AHS Third Place
Artesia High School: Third Place, Kelcey Fanning, “Big Ben,” wood and twine.
5-14-Park First Place
Park Junior High School: First Place, Kelsi Daughrity, “Lobo,” pen and ink.
5-14-Park Honorable Mention
Park Junior High School: Honorable Mention, Karla Maldonado, “Deadly Rose,” digital photograph.
5-14-Park Honorable Mention2
Park Junior High School: Honorable Mention, Heath Cosper, “OJ in the Morning,” digital photograph.
The People’s Choice award went to Deandra Madrid of Zia for her acrylic “Trees of Freedom.”
5-14-Zia Honorable Mention
Zia Intermediate School: Honorable Mention, Zoe Herrera, “My Dream,” acrylic.