Published: 2:42 pm, Sun. Apr. 2nd, 2017Updated: 2:37 pm
The Meats Team, comprised of Chance Mitchell, Ty Mitchell, Madison Callaway and Kellan Bennett won their state competition, which in turn qualified them for the National FFA Convention Oct. 25-28 in Indianapolis, Ind.
Chance Mitchell notched an individual first as part of that team, as did Preston McKee of the Ag Mech Team and Sabrina Wilson of the Forestry Team, to also qualify for nationals.
Artesia’s Parliamentary Procedure Team, comprised of Chance Mitchell, Bennett, Kyler Bowerman, Maegan Lemon, Ty Mitchell and Callaway, previously qualified for the national convention in February.
In other state results:
• the Dairy Team, comprised of Chance Mitchell, Taylor Scott, Mckinah Gwynne and Cole Kincaid, placed second.
• the Horticulture Team, comprised of Emma Montgomery, Lemon, Hailey Ashe and Kirsten Gwynne, placed second.
• the Livestock Team, comprised of Ty Mitchell, Bennett, Chance Mitchell and Bowerman, placed second.
• the Poultry Team, comprised of Chance Mitchell, Lacey Smith, Lemon and Ty Mitchell, placed second.
• the Ag Mech Team, comprised of McKee, Tyler Coons, Jeffrey Fisk and Parker Johnson, placed third.
• the Wool Team, comprised of Kincaid, Kaylin Klein, Dorian Cortese and Mckinah Gwynne, placed fourth.
• the Vet Science team, comprised of Kristin Bruton, Mackenna Smoot, Madison Hathorn and Lauren Johnson, placed sixth.
• the Wildlife Team, comprised of Kincaid, Bowerman, Emma Casey and Gracelyn Casey, placed sixth.
• the Horse Team, comprised of Sydney Montgomery, Summer Crook, Haley Bell and June Crook, placed seventh.
• the Forestry Team, comprised of Wilson and Coons, placed 10th.
The FFA members will have a few more chances to qualify for the National FFA Convention, with three speech contests, and Ag Issues and Ag Sales at the State Convention in June remaining.