. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

An Artesia man is in custody today on charges related to what began as an incident of shots fired and culminated in the firing of a BB gun at an officer.

At 6:38 p.m. Friday, an officer with the Artesia Police Department was dispatched to the 1100 block of Sears Avenue in reference to a call of shots fired. Upon arrival at the residence, the officer observed a male subject looking out the front window; as he approached the door, the subject, later identified as Marcos Munoz, 33, of Artesia, appeared at the screen door holding an item in his hand.

When the officer asked him to exit the home and speak with them, Munoz refused and walked away from the door.

The officer then heard a door in the backyard open and observed Munoz walked toward him along the side of the home with what appeared to be a rifle pointed in his direction. The officer drew his weapon and ordered Munoz to drop the gun. Munoz refused to comply and fired what turned out to be a BB gun, with a BB striking the ground near the officer.

As Munoz was attempting to reload the weapon, the officer followed him around the corner of the home and again ordered him to drop the gun and get on the ground. Munoz finally complied and was taken into custody.

Officers observed an odor of alcohol on Munoz’s person while explaining the charges against him. According to the report, Munoz stated he had drank about a fifth of whiskey and that he had shot the BB gun at the officer because he believed him to be his neighbor, whom an incident had occurred with prior to that date.

Officers also spoke with the reporting party in the shots fired call, who informed them two “distinct” .22-caliber rounds had been heard prior to the APD’s arrival. Munoz gave the officers consent to search his home, wherein they retrieved a .22-caliber rifle and a 30-30-caliber rifle. Officers also observed a front window of the home was broken and a small hole, which appeared to be a .22-caliber bullet hole, in the drapes in line with the broken window.

Munoz was arrested on charges of aggravated assault upon a peace officer with a deadly weapon (other) and negligent use of a deadly weapon, and transported to the Artesia Detention Center.