Published: 12:01 am, Sun. May. 29th, 2016Updated: 12:41 am
Local preteens will have the opportunity to prepare for a variety of social issues they’ll encounter as they grow with the formation of the #RealTalk program in Artesia.
Students entering grades 6-7 at Zia Intermediate School are eligible for the separate male and female programs, scheduled for 6-9 p.m. Monday evenings beginning June 6. Girls will meet at Yeso Elementary School and boys at Zia Intermediate.
The program, intended to “help equip your young lady/man with the knowledge and resources they will need to make successful choices in life,” will cover a wide range of subjects, including:
• human anatomy and physiology of a preteen.
• drugs and alcohol.
• inappropriate pictures and movies.
• mental health issues, such as cutting and suicide.
• bullying and cyberbullying.
• cell phone and social media abuse.
• relationships and dating boundaries.
Snacks will be provided, but attendees should eat dinner prior to arriving.
To register girls for #RealTalk, contact Terah Sexton, PA-C, MS, at 308-7199 or 308-1576. To register boys, contact Jeff Mayberry at 703-4654.